6.06.2006

A Rescue and Adoption

I went to the Humane Society this past Saturday and met two handsome cats. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I went in to find two kittens, or possibly two older cats. I had strict guidelines and qualifications for the older cats, though. Kittens, though terrors, are easier to adapt. So I asked the employee if she could think of any two older cats that were short haired, neutered males, with claws, that got along together, and could tolerate dogs. It would help if they were affectionate and large. She thought for a moment, then disappeared through a door. Moments later she reappeared with two sets of paperwork and began to describe two cats.

"They were part of an animal rescue. The conditions were awful, and the person who lived there is being held for trial for animal abuse for the horses they had. It seemed though, that the cats and dogs living at the home were treated well, as they came in with very few health issues and no signs of physical abuse, or malnutrition."

I was leary when I heard the circumstances. I mean, who knows what strange things went on and how the cats will behave. Unfortunately animals can't tell us in words what happened.

When she showed me their photos, I knew I had to meet them. So I visited with them until the shelter closed. I went home cat free, and called my husband who was out of town. He was not thrilled, to say the least, but knows losing my two cats recently has been very hard on me, and agreed that if I thought this was the right situation for them and us, to go ahead with it.

So I brought them home the next day. They have adjusted well to the new surroundings, including our bouncy ball-of-energy black lab. They are very affectionate and curious, and I have a feeling they will be plenty of trouble.


The black and white is Olly (short for Oliver), and the blue and white is Buck.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

They are both beautiful! What have you named them?

Sofia said...

Oh they are so cute! I just can't understand people who abuse their animals. I'm glad that they have a good new home.