2.20.2006

Relief is a Completed Invitation

Several months ago, I got engaged. Since then, planning this cockamamy wedding has been one big disaster after another. I know, I know, every wedding is difficult to plan, but I'm telling you, this is a nightmare.

First, the place we decided to host the wedding sprung a new "agreement" on me that was not included in the contract I signed. And this "agreement" was so poorly written that it was left open to interpretation by the horrible woman who worked there as the event coordinator. So, long story short, she made it impossible for us to host the wedding there. And I moved on to Plan B with only 4 months left to plan this wedding, and no PLACE to have it.

Now, this meant also that I had to put everything on hold because I couldn't very well plan other things if I didn't even know where the wedding was going to be. (I'm talking, I didn't even know what state it would be in.)

In the meantime, our florist went out of business, two caterers backed out on me because of the awful woman at Place A, and our honeymoon destination got wiped out by a hurricaine.

So I plodded forward with this "special needs wedding" as it came to be called. I checked in on my Plan B. The gal I spoke to initially had left, and I had to speak to someone new. Turns out they changed the policy about weddings, and had decided, much to my dismay, that if we were to host the wedding ceremony there, we'd have to rent the ENTIRE hotel, all 78 rooms of it! I cried, right there on the phone.

Now what? I moved on to try to find a Plan C. Plan C materialized rather quickly, but when I got the initial contract from the place, it was written under the assumption that I was hosting the reception there as well. At $95 a head... I don't THINK so! So I made them aware of the changes I needed to have made, and they informed me that I no longer took priority because they weren't making as much money off me. So the contract would go out when they got around to it. At that point, I was only 112 days away from the Big Day. They put me off for another 3 weeks.

Last week, I called and cried to the contract lady that I only had 80 days, and that I couldn't plan anything else until I got the contract from them so that I knew for sure where my wedding would be. I also threw in that if I did not get a contract STAT, that I would take this as a sign, and consider myself UN-marriable and decide to live in sin for the rest of my life! (That seemed to get her attention)

I received the contract last week, and finally was able to get around to making my invitations (which, 6 months ago, I had plenty of time to do!). I recruited my future mother- and sister-in-law to help, and we completed the main part of the invitations this weekend. It's such a relief to have that done, and know that, after 6 months of frustration and not being able to plan anything, I am finally on the home stretch.

Thank God for small miracles!

No comments: