7.10.2006

A Small Kindness

An elderly man walked into my office today, looking tired and a little worse for wear. (It's a tough neighborhood, a lot of depressed areas... and people. I never know what I'll get when the door opens.) He was working at the construction site next door. He asked if there was a store close by. I told him there was but it wasn't open until 10. He looked extremely disappointed, so I asked what was wrong. He explained that he was diabetic, and had forgotten his lunch at home. His wife could no longer drive to bring it to him. The other man working at the site could not spare anything. I told him I had plenty of snacks, and offered him something to boost his blood sugar. He thanked me, and went back to work.

Sure made me feel good to be able to help him out, if even in such a small way. And I'm really glad I keep plenty of healthy snacks on hand! :)

Have you helped a random stranger lately? Leave your comments/stories here.

4 comments:

Daly said...

You sound like a kind person. I can not think of anything I have done like that recently...hmmmn, maybe I need to
get out of the house more!

Does not telling a store manager about rude service from a sales clerk count...lol? I mean I wouldn't want anyone to get fired.

Kim -today's creative blog said...

Hey Amy! I saw your info posted from ScrapDivas. I need to get your book. Congrats! Let's get together and scrap sometime.
So glad you found two kittys. They are very cute. Love all your layouts.

Jennifer Stewart said...

That is such a neat story! Love that you did that :)

I went to the post office today and bought a few stamps. I got some change in the machine when I was finished purchasing them, but I left the change there for a nice surprise for the next person. :) I didn't need it (was less than $1) and I thought it would make someone smile. :)

Jennifer

Unknown said...

Last week my husband and I were at Best Buy and saw a some folks trying to load a rather large TV in the back of her smallish SUV. We heard the Best Buy employee say that it might not fit; we looked at each other and said if they were in Ireland someone would probably transport it for them. So as we were pulling out of the row we parked in they were still there - my husband pulled his truck up to them and as the young lady started to say something jokingly to him about renting the truck my hubby said "Can we bring that home for you?"

The entire group was in shock that we even offered. She offered to pay but we refused - we just asked her and the others to pay it forward. So we put the TV in the back of the truck. We said just so you're sure we'll be bringing it to your house someone can come with us - we didn't want her to be nervous.

It felt good helping her out and we were amazed at their shock.