6.11.2007

Sad News: Update

This man was the first from my small hometown to be killed in Iraq. (A stroke of luck for my town) I'm impressed with the tribute they are making for him. The city has gathered volunteers to hold flags all along the funeral route as a salute. It will be covered in the local newspapers, and by the local news stations.

What I want to know is, why aren't we seeing these things on the news? Why are our fallen soldiers not given, at the very least, a moment of silence (Like the Newshour with Jim Lehrer does) at the end of the news program? Why don't we see the funerals, or the caskets draped in flags? Is it because seeing that every time we lost a soldier would make the occupation real to us? I wonder.

1 comment:

Winged Heart said...

I guess it depends on the local news where you live. I get my network news out of Cleveland, Ohio, and they have really wonderful coverage of the funerals, memorials, etc. (Especially the NBC affiliate.) No matter what one's political views are, the loss of life is just so very sad.

Blessings,
Sally